Friday, April 25, 2014

April 25, 2014

Some people have expressed dissatisfaction that George Clooney was not included in People magazine's annual 50 Beautiful People issue. It doesn't bother me, because I was overlooked again, too.

Four words that no one wants to see on a restaurant or theatre invitation: "Keep an open mind."

I think it's hilarious that, the older I get, the less I care about people concerned with how old I get.

Memo to Jon Hamm: I agree, it's insulting that, despite all your hard work, people seem more interested in knowing whether or not you're wearing underwear. But lest you forget, this is a culture where releasing sex tapes is considered a career move.

Sometimes I'm glad I don't know everything that's going on; I just found out that 4/20 is annually observed by some weed enthusiasts who celebrate with over-indulgence. Of course, food enthusiasts have to hide their day of indulgence behind an annual commemoration of taking territory from native Americans. Where's the balance?

Tennessee police were searching a 19-year-old woman who had been arrested for driving without a license when they found a 4-inch loaded pistol hidden in her, um, lady parts (would you rather I call it a vajayjay?). I find the story fascinating; why did she keep it loaded? How was she planning to use it?

Granted, the story about the teenage runaway who stowed away in the wheel well of an airplane and flew from California to Hawaii is compelling. But in this day and age of terrorist threats, airline security, and TSA, this kind of news story just sounds like a challenge to certain people who don't need the inspiration.

I agree that Joan Rivers' joke about the three Cleveland kidnap victims ("that they got to live rent-free for a year") was insensitive. But I also understand why, as a comic, it would affect her image to apologize. For some, jokes about the story will always be "too soon."

It isn't fair, I know, but I'm not as worried about the reported shortage of limes as I was about last year's reported shortage of bacon.

And now, a word that may be meant for someone in particular: sure, some will respond favorably to pandering, but I'm insulted when you imply I won't patronize your establishment because you also serve someone who isn't like me.

Agape' -- P




No comments:

Post a Comment