Friday, December 6, 2013

December 6, 2013

95-year-old South African president Nelson Mandela died Thursday, ironically,  the same day that Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, a film about his life, premiered in London. The fact that mortality affects even beloved, charismatic men is always sobering.

A portion of profits from the sale of Fast and the Furious 6 will be donated to a charity founded by Paul Walker, a star of the franchise, who was killed in a horrific car crash last Saturday. Tin a taped interview that brought tears to my eyes, his grieving father disputed allegations that his son, a racing enthusiast, advocated street racing. Since Walker was actually a passenger in the car, I find those allegations in really poor taste. Meanwhile, two men were arrested allegedly Thursday for stealing pieces of the wreckage as it was being towed away. Unbelieveable.

Someday, I'd like to meet someone who stuffs pimentoes into olives for a living; I'd like to know what they dream about. I'd also like to know why I never see pimentoes in black olives, because those are the ones I like.

Reactions are mixed regarding whether singer Joe Jonas was right to include the names of Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato during his recent admissions regarding marijuana use and losing his virginity. On this issue, after trying really, really hard... I don't think I could care less.

A woman who worked in a Georgia Wendy's was arrested and fired after admitting that she left half a smoked marijuana cigarette on a burger that she served a customer. Along with paying her medical bills, Wendy's has also given the customer a $50 gift certificate for a future meal. I don't know; I would've held out for a gift card for Burger King, where I could have it my way.

Families at a Tampa, Florida movie theater received a shock recently when, instead of the Disney film they were expecting to see, Frozen, was replaced with an explicit clip from an NC-17 film. One parent was quoted as saying there weren't enough hands to cover the eyes and ears of all the children in the audience. Whether this was an accident or a prank, I think Netflix should use this to promote their service. This never happens there.

And now from the get-ready-to-vomit department: Sydney Leathers, the woman named in the Anthony Weiner sexting scandal, is really working on her 15 minutes of fame. She's undergoing a labiaplasty to have excess skin removed from a private part of her anatomy (yes, there), and planning to auction the removed skin on the Internet. Someone sure thinks a lot of her self-worth, huh?

Let's hear it for the ones who go on caring even where they're the only ones doing it.

It's scenes like this that make me love the WGN Morning news team, even though I don't think my ego could handle being interviewed by them.

Never underestimate the value of a little downtime; I like to think of it as pressing my personal RESET button.

Agape' -- P

No comments:

Post a Comment