Friday, December 13, 2013

December 13, 2013

We'll never get to thinking in terms of we and our as long as we keep thinking in terms of us versus them.

Now that President Obama was seen taking a selfie with the British and Danish prime ministers (during Nelson Mandela's memorial service), does that mean selfies are no longer obnoxious?

I like to study trivia so that when people sarcastically say to me, "Tell me something I don't know", I can do just that.

16 weeks ago, Pattrick McConlogue, a 23-year-old computer programmer, offered Leo Grand, a homeless man, a deal: $100 cash, or programming lessons for one hour each day on a laptop computer. Leo chose the lessons. The result? A mobile app called Trees for Cars, which connects carpoolers to share rides. McConlogue has relinquished his share in the profits, so all the money goes to Leo. Some say McConlogue should've just given him the money, but on the Google Play store alone, the app has been purchased over 500 (the app is also available on Itunes). Also, Leo has learned enough to develop more apps. I'd say he picked the right door, wouldn't you? Talk about "teach a man to fish."

Electrician Chris Gillott started a trend by using the lights in the Blue Cross/Blue Shield building to pay tribute to Walter Payton when he died 14 years ago. The custom has been repeated many times over the years to commemorate several things, including the national soccer team, pay tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. and breast cancer awareness. When Gillott died last week, the custom was once again used in tribute to him. Letters spell out "Thanks Chris" on the south face of the Blue Cross Blue Shield building on Tuesday night. The thank you was done in honor of electrician Chris Gillott, who originated the tradition of window messages in the Blue Cross Blue Shield building.

Thamsanqa Jantjie, the sign language interpreter employed during Nelson Mandela's memorial service attributes his failure to correctly translate what was being said to hallucinations caused by his chronic schizophrenia. I know this is terribly insensitive, but when I think of the fact that this man continued making those senseless gestures (called nonsense and jibberish), and nobody stopped him, I burst out laughing.

My favorite quote this week goes to Sofia Vergara, who was nominated again for the Golden Globes, but was passed over for a SAG awards nomination: "My Golden Globes are still going strong! That's why I don't sag."

Have you noticed that more medications are listing suicidal thoughts among their side effects? How is this acceptable? I bet they wouldn't be able to list homicidal thoughts among their side effects.

The only time I'm slightly bothered by my shellfish allergy is when I see a particular loved one have a rather orgasmic reaction to her first bite of either lobster or crab cakes. I don't quite know what that says about her, but it is something to see.

The advice "Be true to yourself" seems very incomplete. Would you say that to a violent racist?

Agape' -- P

No comments:

Post a Comment