Friday, October 26, 2012

October 26, 2012

Sometimes, I envy turtles.

When I feel bad, I ask myself if I've ever felt worse. If the answer is no, then I ask myself if I could feel worse. So far, the answer has always been yes. That helps a lot.

When I feel good, I never ask myself if I've ever felt better. Yay for me.

A 56-year-old woman who has been working at Arby's for 23 years was recently fired for leaving the store to escape from an armed robber. Her statement? She decided that if she was going to be killed, it wasn't going to be at Arby's. Okay, never mind that after 23 years of service without being promoted to management, she should be rewarded (not fired!) just for coming up with that catchy slogan!

One of Magic Johnson's former employees is suing him for wrongful termination. He says he fired her for tardiness; she says she was fired for refusing to test his Red Vines candy for freshness. I say maybe some reporter should be fired for calling this "news."

A San Antonio, TX woman faked her own kidnapping by having herself bound and left in the back of her car, to avoid a day on her job. Her scheme unraveled when police found a lottery ticket she bought at the time she claimed she was abducted at knifepoint. I have questions about this, like (1) how big was the jackpot that tempted her to risk her alibi? and (2) how bad are things on her job that she'd rather spend a day bound in her car than call in sick and spend the day on the Riverwalk? I've been there, it's beautiful!

Early one morning this week, I watched a movie from my youth. The music, the fashion, the attitudes all had me going back and forth between feelings of nostalgia and "what on earth were we thinking?"

At the end of the day, it really is all about the truth.

The words may have similar roots, but experience is not what makes a person an expert.

Sometimes I wonder which is sadder: the state of this world, or the refusal of most people to reach for something better.

Agape' -- P

No comments:

Post a Comment